I wanted to post today but couldn't quite find the time throughout the day. It is now almost midnight and I can't sleep so I thought I might as well get up and do something.
Today is my Dad's birthday so he has been on my mind. I count him among the greatest blessings in my life. He has been there for me at every point in my life, even at the times when I didn't want him there. He has never judged me and always loved me. He is, by far, the best listener I know. He listens much and says little. He is one of those people who knows exactly what you need to hear and isn't afraid to tell you the truth. He has worked so hard his whole life to take care of a huge family and I have never heard him complain about it. Not once.
He is so respectful and gentle to my mother. I can't remember a time that I have heard him raise his voice to her. I grew up seeing them kiss everyday when he got home from work. Not just a "Hi. Bye" kind of kiss but, an "I hated being away from you for 8+ hours" kind of kiss. I remember that it became kind of a joke for us kids to act like we were sicked out when they would kiss but, looking back on it, that made me feel safe. I knew then and I know now that my parents are completely in love. Not a whole lot of people can say that about their parents anymore.
My dad didn't have the easiest of upbringings but he decided early on what kind of dad he was going to be and I bet he exceeded his expectations, although he wouldn't think so. It was from him that I learned what a father should be like. It was from him that I learned what a husband should be like. It was from him that I learned what a worthy priesthood holder should be like. I can remember once when I was really sick. It was early in the morning and I knew that Dad only had a little bit of time left to sleep and so I didn't want to wake him up for a blessing. I decided to lay on the floor outside his bedroom so that I could get a blessing from him as soon as he came out. I don't know how long I laid there but finally he came out. I started to cry and told him I needed a blessing. He scooped me up and held me close and asked me why I didn't just wake him up. I told him why and he took my face in his hands and told me never to wait again. He told me that nothing, not even sleep, was more important then me. And that is how I have felt my whole life; important, loved, cherished, respected.
It is so cool seeing my brothers as fathers now. I see Dad in them. I see Dad when I see them laughing with their kids. I see Dad when I see them teaching their kids. I see Dad when I see them snuggling their kids. I can still remember the way my Dad smelled when he would come home from work or church. Remember the Old Spice guys?
I could go on and on about him. Dad, I am sure Mom will have you read this so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Thank you for being my Dad! (and try not to be too embarrassed by this okay?!)
P.S. Today is my niece, T's, birthday too. She is 1! I can't believe it. I love her so much and I am really gonna miss seeing her every Sunday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY T!!!!
4 comments:
I have to comment on your family. I have always admired and respected your family. You do not have to be an insider to see what a great family you are. TRUDY
I love your dad, too, and I feel very blessed to have him as a father-in-law. I love the story of when you were sick and needed a blessing. I can totally picture him there with his hands on your face comforting you. So sweet!
I loved this post on your dad because it reminds me so much of mine. Isn't it wonderful to have such a wonderful guy in your life?
I like how your Dad is really good at explaining things. It is much easier to understand something when it is explained the right way.
Post a Comment