Thursday, June 11, 2009

So, What Had Happened Was...

Garden Club was at my place today.
I needed to go out to the backyard to set up the pool and sprinkler.
But, I didn't want Noah's 'help' so I was going to leave him in the house.
I remembered that all of Noah's outside toys were on our back porch from the last time our yard got mowed so I would have to go out the front door.
I opened the back door, opened the front door, locked the door handle of the front door,
(am I the only paranoid one that worries about someone coming into the house and snatching my kiddos in the 30 seconds it would take me to walk around the house?)
shut the front door, and ran around to the back.
I went back into the house and bolted and chain locked the front door.
(I know, overkill right?!)
By this point Noah was pretty ticked that I wasn't letting him outside.
He started to wail!
Eden, being convinced that whatever was bothering her big bro was surely a catastrophe worthy of her own tears, joined in with her own wailage.
I ran outside and set up the pool as quickly as I could and got the water going.
I ran back to the screen door, which Noah had been screaming at me through the whole time I was outside, only to discover that (have you guessed it yet?)
Noah had locked the screen door!
Oh Snap!
I pulled and pulled on that old rickety door and it wouldn't budge.
Luckily, Mom, Mimi, Dawn, and Ty were going to be pulling in my driveway in just a few minutes and Mom has a key to my house.
We're saved...right?
Wrong.
Mom got there and I explain the situation.
Misty and Dawn initially laugh (and really, who wouldn't?) until they realize that both of the babies are locked inside screaming their bloomin' heads off.
They both go sprinting like gold medal winning Olympians to the front windows and proceed to try to calm my hysterical children down.
Mom was frantically digging in her Mary Poppins of a purse trying to locate the house key.
Misty ran to the back door to see if she could be more successful than me at getting Noah to unlock the door.
He so was not understanding.
Meanwhile, back at the front door, Mom found the key and I try to unlock the door.
I can't get the stupid thing to unlock!
Then I hear, "Misty's in!"
My Shera of a big sis had pushed the window on the screen door in and reached up and opened the door.
Good thing because if you will remember, in my paranoia I locked the chain on the front door and wouldn't have been able to get in that way anyway.
Can you say DRAMA!
Everyone ran in and flooded the kiddos with plenty of "poor baby"s and "it's okay"s.

All in the day of the life of a mom.

5 comments:

Becki said...

Your posts are so fun and easy to read. You've really got a way with words. I'm sorry about the drama! I always wonder if Heavenly Fathers got a little recorder and is laughing his head off at our expense some times. Can't wait to see all the footage someday!

Debbie said...

aww.. haha I didn't know all that had happened before we got there! when you were saying that your mom had a key, i was thinking, "but you said you put the chain lock on!" misty to the rescue!

Unknown said...

Atleast no one was able to snatch your babies :)

Lisa said...

That is SO funny!! Glad it all worked out!! LOL

danakat said...

Phew! I'm emotionally and mentally exhausted now.

What a day what a day what a day.