Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What To Do

Noah had an appointment with an ENT (ear,nose, and throat) today because he has had 5 ear infections in less than a year. He recommended having the tubes put in. He said that it is an outpatient procedure, it takes about 10 minutes, and that most kids tolerate it really well.

It seems like an easy, breezy kind of thing so I don't really know why I am so worried about it. The ear infections don't really seem to bother Noah so much but what really bothers me is all of the antibiotics that he has had to be on in the last year. I'm probably over thinking it.

Have any of you had to have your kids get the tubes? How'd the procedure go? How did your kid react? What kind of restrictions are there? (Should have thought to ask the doc that last question but it was Noah's nap time and he was being a pill!) Any advice?

7 comments:

Kim Mayfield said...

Kyle was very close to having to have tubes, but did not actually have to go through it. One of the big concerns with his doctor was damage to the eardrum from scarring due to the infection. He doesn't seem to have any problem, although at times I could swear he is deaf! I would have gone ahead and done tubes if his problem had not corrected itself. I was tired of him always hurting, and all of the antibiotics we was taking. Don't know if that is really any help to you, but I understand your thoughts/fears. It's more of a process of weighing all your options and choosing what is the best for him and you.

Beth said...

Addie is at the point of needing tubes. The doctor wants to do it, but I asked to wait to see how Addie will do since her infections always come with teeth coming in. Since all of her teeth but 2 are in for now, so far so good. It worries me too, that is why I asked them to wait. It just seems grusome! :)

Mandi said...

Parker had to have tubes put in when he was 11 months old, and I swear they worked miracles! :) He was only seperated from me for 20 minutes or so for the procedure, and once they were in he never had another ear infection. We are just waiting for them to fall out now and hoping that they don't have to take them out.

Lisha said...

My biggest thing for getting Nathan's tubes in was that the DR said that it could affect his speech.. Having all that junk in your ear makes hearing difficult, and when your speech is developing, it can cause problems. Nathan still had ear infections, but with the tubes, the gunk drained, and we had antibioti drops that we could put in his ear without having to run to the doctor and without the meds going through his whole body. I would recommend it!

Mary said...

I am so sorry that you and Noah have to go through this! Emma had tubes put in her ears around her first birtday for having 6 ear infections in 6 months. Poor Emma! I was also tired of the countless antibiotics and doctor appointments.

The worst thing about the procedure is that when they wake up they are hungry and upset. But a few snuggles later, Emma was just fine. She was up and about that afternoon after the meds wore off. I was prepared for it be harder but it just wasn't. The hardest part for me was that they took my baby away from me...even for the 20 mintues total that we were separated!

Just for information...they can stil get ear infections with the tubes. But instead of the liquid building up and hurting them, it just comes out. Not very pretty when you see their ear covered in goo but you just have to call the ENT and they will get you ear drops to clear it up.

After 18 months one of the tubes came out. She ended up rupturing that eardrum 3 times in one month. I was worried about hearing loss, so we went back into have it replaced and have her adenoids taken out. (Our doctor said that if they have to be replaced that this was the best option.) IT has been another 18 or so months since then and her last tube has finally come out. We haven't had any troubles with ear infections since her last surgery. Hallelujah!

I am sorry for the novel but I hope that this helps. It really was worth it for us!

Dawn, said...

Poor Christian was so severe that he got tubes, tonsils, and adnoids (sp?) all at the same time because he was showing signs of hearing loss and still to this day has scar tissue that causes inflexibility of the inner ear. I really believe tubes is preventitive to future damage of the ear not just avoiding future ear infections... because Noah could still have ear infections but they should drain and not need antibiotics as often. We did do plugs for bathtimes and swimming but Christian never minded them. Goodluck with the pros and cons.

Debbie said...

Well, we haven't had any problems with Taylor having ear infections, but I totally understand your concerns since she has had to have surgery recently. Even though it may be a common procedure, it's still hard on you for your baby to have to go through that. You just have to remember that it will be better for them in the long run! From everyone else's comments, it sounds like getting the tubes put in is a good thing. and doesn't it always work out that you can never think of all the right questions to ask until AFTER you leave the doctor's office??