Last Sunday Misty noticed some red splotches on Noah's back that hadn't been there hours earlier when I had given him a bath. By Monday he was covered head to toe in a rash. I took him in and the doc said it looked viral to her. She did a throat culture because she thought it was strep. Great! The culture came back negative. I took him back in on Thursday because every inch of his skin was covered in tiny little bumps. He had been red and splotchy earlier in the week but not bumpy and itchy. When the doc saw him again she was shocked at how different he looked. She said that now it looked more like a rash that is caused by an allergy. Double great!! I had bought a new laundry detergent but the only thing I think I could have washed with it thus far was the towel we used to dry him off after his bath on Sunday. So, he is on a daily dose of Claritin and doses of Benadryl every 6 hrs to help with the itching. Bless him, he was been completely miserable this week and I have felt totally helpless, one of the worst feelings in the world. He suffers really bad from seasonal allergies as well so the doc referred him to a Pediatric Allergy Specialist and we see her on Dec. 2. Urg!
Add this on top of feelings of inadequacy. I feel like all I ever say to Noah anymore is, "No!", or "Don't touch that" or "Get down off the dining room table!". Sometimes I seriously lay in bed and review the day in my head and just cringe. I am generous with my "I love you"s but I wonder at how much of that gets through in between all the "No"s and frustration because I feel like he doesn't listen to me.
Sigh. This just has not been a good mothering week.
7 comments:
Being a Mother has two sides. One is soft and one is tough. Both are vitally important. We have to teach our children what is safe and what is not. Especially if they are smart and test the boundaries on a constant basis. No Nos are how children learn what is good for them and what is not. They eventually learn to leave most No nos alone. It also teaches self control. As much as we want to have a day full of the sweet hugs and kisses kind of love, the tough kind is necessary for their safety and well being. We have to be strong and realize the value of both. If you ask most adults how they knew their mom loved them they would say because she didn't let them get by with things. It shows far more true love to tell them no than to let them get hurt or think they can do anything they want. No Nos teach them self control and as they get older they will be able to learn obedience and to know how to obey Heavenly Fathers NO Nos.
I know the feeling... Nathan is in such the same spot. Sorry it was a bad week.
You are a great mom because you're not afraid to say no.
I hope the rash is gone for good!
Okay, I have to share this story even though it's going to take some space...
A friend of mine's son was singing Old McDonald and started using people instead of animals. For instance: baby=wah wah here, wah wah there; Daddy=ha ha here, ha ha there; (this is where it gets funny) Mommy=no no here, no no there.
See, you're in good company. :)
You are not alone! Those days are going to come and really, they're probably just starting with Noah, but it's always so amazing how my boys grow more and more loving with more and more discipline. I remember trying one day to see how long I could go without saying "no" to either kid - I think my record was less than 30 seconds! Just remind yourself that you're taking care of him and forming the good man that he will one day be - that makes those hard days seem not quite so hard. Oh - and there's always another mom saying "no" at the same time!
Poor Noah! Laundry detergent really is rough on Addie, we use Ecos from costco. It is dye free, organic, all the good stuff and really isn't too costly. And it smells pretty good. If not, Addie gets a red, bumpy rash wherever the stuff touches her. When we go on vacation I have to bring blankets to put on top of the sheets and such.
I hope his rash disappears soon and that you have a better week!
I think the Ecos stuff from Costco is the stuff that may have given him the rash. :-/
Sometimes they can be allergic to the virus they had with the results of hives and such...
Post a Comment