Friday, February 15, 2008

Super Mommy Moment

Last night I was in the living room going over my primary lesson and Sharing Time for Sunday. Noah was crawling around playing with whatever he could get his hands on. I would look up every once in a while to check on him. I started to get engrossed in the lesson and the next thing I know Noah is coughing up a storm. I look over at him and he is eating DEODORANT!! I yelled, "Oh crap!" and Chris comes running out of the office. Little chunks of deodorant are all over the place and we had no idea of how much he actually ate. He was coughing and spitting it up. As I cleaned Noah up Chris called poison control. They told us to give him several ounces of water and monitor him over the next hour. For the next hour he continued to cough and I could tell that he was spitting it up a little but he kept swallowing it again. GROSS!! The poison control center called us back after an hour. We told them that he had been coughing and they told us to keep him up for another hour. We did and he stopped coughing. After another hour they called again and told us that we could now put him to bed. It was 10:30 by that time and he had BEEN ready to go to sleep. I felt like such a horrible mother. I don't even know how the deodorant got in the living room in the first place. I was just waiting for Chris to say something about how we need to be more careful, like I didn't already feel bad enough. But, he was smart and didn't say anything. I went in several times during the night to make sure that Noah was okay. He seems to be fine today but I still feel horrible.

On a lighter note, I took this video a couple of days ago. We were all back in our room just hanging out and playing around. Chris started tickling Noah and after a little bit I ran to get the camera. You can tell how out of breath Noah is at the
end because by this point he had been laughing for a good while.

8 comments:

Jenni said...

I'm glad Noah is okay - they find anything and everything don't they? I'm sure Chris knew you were already all over yourself for not seeing it sooner. It was good visiting with you the other day and glad I finally got to meet Noah in person!

danakat said...

Please don't feel like a bad mom! It happens to everyone. You want me to post a list of the gross things my own kids and various cousins have had in their mouths...right in front of parents who were theoretically being observant? It will make you feel so much better.

Lacey Freeman said...

That video is so cute. What a doll.

I am glad Noah is okay too, but don't feel too bad...I am sure almost every mom out there has had an experience with calling poison control. About a year ago Chase got into some heavy duty cleaner one time (I can't remember what it was exactly, but it was like grout cleaner or something...) I freaked out and called poison control and they told me to flush his eyes with cold water for the next 15 minutes...that wasn't fun, he was so heavy and didn't like the coldness all over his face, but, luckily he didn't go blind! I felt so awful too because I was just getting ready to go to school and not paying much attention...but, like I said, I think it happens to every mom at least once!

Kim Mayfield said...

We have all been there! I remember when Kayti ate a roach! GROSS!!!! I have had to call poison control for Josh as well. I'm glad he is ok. Good luck on your lesson Sunday!

Rachel @ The Little Blue Room said...

Don't feel bad it really does happen to everyone. Jordan has eaten tons of things, including ant poison. Somethings I don't even know about until the next diaper change, like dental floss, and you have to work hard to swallow dental floss, lol. The thing I don't understand is how can these things taste good? Why don't they just spit it out, lol.I know it is natural to feel bad but don't beat yourself up over it. You are a great mom!

Beth said...

Oh yuck! Why would you ever want to eat deodorant? I'd imagine it'd taste like soap. I'm glad he's ok! Cute video! I love baby laughs.

Lisha said...

How cute is he, I just love him to death!!! I'm glad all is well with the whole deoderant mishap, it sure is stressful not knowing how harmful something is, but know that every mommy has moments like those!

Debbie said...

Don't feel bad. I know things like that are scary though. One day we were in the car, and Taylor got a hold of one of those car air fresheners that attach to the vents. I think the thing may have been empty, but she sucked on the stem of it and realized right away that she did NOT like it. I think she probably gagged a little bit, and her breath smelt like air freshener.. haha

I love the end of the video when Noah is huffing and puffing.. haha