Sunday, November 18, 2007

We Are Family

I have the greatest life. I grew up in a home that was never lacking in any of the important stuff. If someone asked me to name my hero it would be my amazing dad. My brothers and sisters and I are convinced that he can walk on water, although he steadfastly refuses to let us test that theory. He is the smartest, most gentle, honest person I know. My mother is this little spitfire that has always gone through life with so much confidence. She has taught me about patience and perseverance. I grew up being spoiled rotten by my big sisters (when I wasn't getting caught "borrowing" their stuff) and they are my bestest friends. One sister is this amazing mother and wife with impeccable taste who's brilliance I constantly steal and pass off as my own. The other sister is the kind of person that everyone secretly wishes they could be. She has this crazy sixth sense that allows her to know EXACTLY what she needs to do or say to make everything okay. I will probably never be as good a "mother" as she is but that is okay because she is good enough for the both of us. My brothers, though trying at times (Nate!), where always the first ones to come to my defense if needed. They have all grown into the kind of men that people notice. Whether it is their wit, their spiritual strength, or their good looks, you just remember the Mayfield boys. My siblings have chosen companions that make them better people and have blessed me with nieces and nephews that I couldn't live without. I have a husband who is an example to me everyday. I'm convinced he is a genius. He makes me feel loved and special and protected and cared for. He loves me in spite of all my shortcomings. And he has a great butt! (teehee) Heavenly Father has let me be the mother to this incredible little boy who has a special smile just for me. He is the one person that I can honestly say I love everything about him. He is perfection. I love him so much there just aren't words to adequately express it. And I have the gospel and the knowledge that I never have to imagine what life would be like without any of them. I don't know what I did in the premortal existence to deserve all this but I will spend eternity thanking my Heavenly Father.

3 comments:

danakat said...

I love your life too! :)
What beautiful and absolutely correct sentiments. And as for the rest of us who know your family as dear friends...we are also blessed and better people because of it.

Debbie said...

Great post! I love being a part of this family! I have been so blessed by the Mayfields. Your family was such a huge part of introducing the gospel into my life. I am grateful to Heavenly Father not only for the chance to get to know the Mayfields but for being so blessed to be able to become a part of this family for eternity!

Lacey Freeman said...

awesome post. i really enjoyed reading it and i have been lucky to get to know your family...and i love all of you guys so much!